Steps To Take After A Workplace Injury

Top 4 most common construction accidents

On Behalf of | Sep 1, 2021 | Workers' Compensation |

The construction industry in Minnesota is filled with workplace hazards. Even when safety precautions are taken, many things can go wrong when people are working on building projects. Below are the four most common types of construction accidents.

1. Struck by an object

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, defines “struck by” accidents as incidents that involve forcible contact with an object. Two examples of this type of construction accident are when a falling tool or a flying piece of material strikes a worker. An accident that involves a worker being struck by a vehicle is another example.

2. Caught in something

Construction workers can suffer devastating injuries when they are caught in equipment or construction material. Accidents that involve being caught in or between something involve two or more objects that somehow trap a worker. This type of accident may happen when construction material collapses onto a worker, or a worker gets pulled into a machine.

3. Electrocution

Construction accidents involving electrocution are usually caused by the unsafe use of electrical equipment. These accidents may also occur when a work environment is not properly safeguarded, or electrical hazards are not properly marked.

Some of the injuries that electrocution can cause include:

• Burns

• Nerve damage

• Cardiac arrest

• Muscular contractions

These injuries, and others, maybe compensable with a workers’ compensation claim.

4. Falling

Two types of falls can happen on a construction site: falls at the same level and falls from heights. Falls at the same level may also be called slips and trips, and these accidents typically happen because of a cluttered or uneven surface. Falls from heights are often due to a lack of fall protection equipment, safety nets or guardrails.

What to do if you were injured on a construction site

As long as you are an employee and not an independent contractor, you can most likely file a workers’ compensation claim for your construction-related injuries. Depending on the details of your accident, you may also be able to file a third-party personal injury claim.