Steps To Take After A Workplace Injury

Understanding IMEs And QRCs For Workers’ Compensation

While receiving workers’ compensation benefits, you may be asked to undergo an independent medical examination (IME), or you may require a qualified rehabilitative consultant (QRC). The insurance company in charge of your workers’ compensation claim may choose these individuals for you, but you do have some say in the matter.

It is important that you trust the medical examinations and consultants you work with — only then will you get a fair and reasonable settlement for your claim. As with any legal matter, workers’ compensation can quickly become confusing and overwhelming to those unfamiliar with the nuances of the system. An experienced lawyer, however, can guide you through the complexities so that you have a clear path forward.

An Attorney To Provide Insight And Care For Your Workers’ Comp Claim

Based in Eden Prairie, David H. Bailly represents injured workers and their families from Minnesota and western Wisconsin. As your advocate, he can explain your rights under Minnesota’s workers’ compensation law in clear terms so that you know your options for recovery.

If you have been asked to undergo an IME or you are having problems with your QRC, contact David H. Bailly at 952-232-1053 or 800-250-3799 toll free for a free initial consultation.

Understanding Your Rights Regarding An Independent Medical Examination (IME)

The insurance company usually requests an independent medical exam (IME) when it desires an outside opinion on the extent of your injury or the status of your recovery. The insurance company reserves the right to choose the doctor you see, but it must choose someone within 150 miles of your home. It must also cover the entire cost of the visit and provide reasonable mileage reimbursement.

If you have received a request for an IME, know that your insurance company may be looking to discontinue or dispute your benefits. The doctor will likely ask you many questions about your medical history and job-related abilities to evaluate whether your work restrictions or benefits may be changed.

What Is A Qualified Rehabilitative Consultant (QRC)?

Those who have suffered serious or permanent injury may require a qualified rehabilitative consultant (QRC). A QRC develops a recovery plan based on your injury and particular needs for rehabilitation. He or she may also attend your doctor visits to consult on the nature of your treatment in light of this plan.

Under Minnesota law, you reserve the right to select your own QRC, someone you can trust. If the insurance company has selected a QRC for you, you also have the right to request a new one, as long as you do so within 60 days of when the QRC files a report with the state of Minnesota. As your lawyer, Mr. Bailly can advise you on the pros and cons of having a QRC, and he will advocate for your right to receive proper care during recovery.

Keep Your Rights Protected During Your Recovery

If you are still in recovery, an experienced lawyer can help you protect your rights to continued coverage. Attorney David H. Bailly has helped many clients preserve their workers’ comp benefits, even when IMEs have been requested.

Schedule a free initial consultation with Mr. Bailly at his Eden Prairie office, which is in Hennepin County, near Minneapolis. Send him an email or call 952-232-1053 or 800-250-3799.